Autumn is their season and there are thousands of ideas to use them in the most diverse dishes. Learn how to make Portuguese chestnut pie.
If you are a fan of chestnuts, then prepare your taste buds for these two recipes Alentejo chestnut pie??
This is an excellent way to take advantage of this dried fruit and consume it in a less conventional way, in addition to the typical roasted chestnuts.
Take notes to prepare this Alentejo chestnut pie recipe at home and make everyone’s delight.
Two Alentejo chestnut pie recipes
Alentejo chestnut pie
- 400gr of cooked chestnuts
- 100gr of almond kernels
- 200gr of sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 4 whole eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Powdered sugar to decorate
- Boil the skinless chestnuts in water with a little salt and fennel.
- Puree with a fork or mixer.
- Grind the almond kernels to obtain a coarse flour.
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar.
- Add the melted butter and lemon zest.
- Add the pureed almonds and chestnuts and fold everything into the egg whites, already beaten.
- Grease an afternoon form with butter and flour.
- Bake the dough in the oven at 180º for about 30 minutes.
- Decorate with powdered sugar.
Chestnut pie with shortcrust pastry
Setup time:01:10 am
- 1 package of shortcrust pastry
- 100g of melted chocolate
- 600g chestnut puree
- 150gr of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1dl of milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- butter qb
- cooked chestnuts qb
- qb chocolate shavings
- Turn on the oven to 180º.
- Grease a pie pan with a removable bottom with butter and line with a shortcrust pastry bag.
- Trim the ends, cover with aluminum foil and fill with dried pulses.
- Place in the middle of the oven for ten minutes.
- Remove the legumes and cook another three minutes, until the dough is dry in the centre.
- Allow to cool and brush the base with 100gr of melted chocolate. Reserve in the fridge.
- Place the chestnut puree in a pan with the sugar, fennel powder, milk and butter.
- Mix well and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until a thick and shiny cream is obtained.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place this cream in a pastry bag with a crimped nozzle and fill the mold.
- Serve the pie fresh, decorated with boiled chestnuts passed through melted chocolate and chocolate shavings.
Article originally published in October 2021. Updated in October 2022.