Holy Week in Braga is a unique event in the religious calendar. 2023 brings an agenda that reinforces the local tourist activity.
Share the post “Semana Santa de Braga: devotion and secular tradition”
From the 6th to the 9th of April, the celebrations of Holy Week in Braga return to the streets, and to the temples of city of archbishops. An event with historical contours that draws thousands of people to the streets every year.
We are talking about a celebration whose origins are lost in time, not least because there is no indication of when these days of secular tradition began to be celebrated.
What is certain is that this is one of the most special times of the year, in other words, Braga is a devout city full of faith.
What is known – and what is always expected – is that Holy Week in Braga tries, as much as possible, to preserve the original meaning of commemorating the mysteries of the Passion, Death and Resurrection of Christ, while trying to incorporate innovative and that enrich the celebrations of Holy Week in Braga.
Holy Week in Braga: the program
In 2023, Holy Week in the city of archbishops promises to once again fill the streets and religious spaces with events that make this one of the most popular celebrations at Easter time.
But it is not just between the 2nd and 9th of April that the occasion takes place: from February onwards, the spirit of Holy Week in Braga can be felt in various celebrations.
Check out the full program.
- Mass and Imposition of AshesCathedral, February 22
- Opening of Lent LauspereneCathedral, February 22
- 1st Sunday of Lent, Via Crucis in Bom JesusPortico do Bom Jesus, February 26
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sunday of Lent, Via Crucis in Bom JesusPortico do Bom Jesus, March 5th, 12th and 19th
- Procession of the Steps in Cabreiros and Crespos, March 12
- Sacred music concert I Bimbi AppassionatiChurch of S. Victor, March 18
- Procession of the Stepsin Figueiredo and Real, March 19
- Concert/ShowCathedral, March 24
- Procession of the 5th Sunday of Lent, Penitential Procession to Bom Jesus do MonteMarch 26th
- Processions of the 5th Sunday of Lent, Procession of the Steps in CeleirósMarch 26th
- Presentation of the second edition of the book A Procissão da BurrinhaJFS Victor Auditorium, March 29
- Concert/Show Botar das Almas and other thematic songsChapel of Our Lady of Guadalupe, March 30
- Feast of Our Lady of SorrowsBasilica of the Congregates, March 31
- Concert/Show Lamentations of the PassionChurch of Saint Mark, March 31
- Transfer of the Image of Senhor dos Passos and Via Sacrafrom the Church of Santa Cruz, April 1
- Blessing and Procession of PalmsSeminary Church (Largo S. Paulo), April 2
- Procession of the StepsChurch of St. Paul, April 2
- Concert/Show Orchestral Ensemble and Choir of the University of MinhoSanta Cruz Church, April 3
- The 7 Last Words of Christ on the CrossBasilica of the Congregates, April
- Concert/Show Passio et Mors Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Secundum LucamCathedral of Braga, 4th of April
- Circus WorkshopsEspaço Vita, April 4
- CoolEaster showEspaço Vita, April 4
- Street animation by a group of farricocosHistoric Center of Braga, April 5th
- Biblical parade You will be my peopleProcession of Nossa Senhora da donkey, from the Church of S. Victor, April 5
- Chrism Mass and Blessing of the Holy OilsCathedral, April 6
- Group of Farricocos show from Santa Casa da Misericórdia de BragaHistoric Center of Braga, April 6th
- Footwashing and Mass of the Lord’s SupperCathedral, April 6
- Procession of the Lord Ecce Homofrom the Misericórdia Church, April 6
- Office of Lauds (Good Friday)Cathedral, April 7
- Celebration of the Lord’s DeathCathedral, April 7
- Procession of the Burial of the Lordfrom the Cathedral, April 7
- Office of Lauds (Holy Saturday)Cathedral, April 8
- Easter Vigil and Procession of the ResurrectionSé Catedral 8 de Abril
- Solemn Mass of Easter SundayCathedral, April 9
- Easter Sunday – Pascal CompassCathedral, April 9
Exhibitions that mark Holy Week in Braga
Culture is also and increasingly part of the Easter program in the city of archbishops. Check the schedule.
- Exhibition saved by lovefrom April 22 to 16, at the Pio XII Museum
- photography exhibition 25 Years // Donkey Processionfrom March 20 to April 17, 2023, at the Churchyard of S. Victor
- Exhibition Christ…for our sakesbetween March 27th and April 17th, at Espaço Galeria da JFS Victor
- Exhibition Holy Week in Bragafrom March 31 to April 30, at the Treasury-Museum of Braga Cathedral
- Exhibition Projeto Homem – 31 years of inclusion pathsfrom April 11 to 16, at the Biscaínhos Museum
- Exhibition Santa Bárbara, Patroness of Miners and other Artsfrom April 1st to June 3rd, at CIMMB (Palácio do Raio)