The texture on the wall is a form of finishing capable of modernizing the decoration of an environment. The technique explores relief as an aesthetic effect, making the vertical surface more beautiful, charming and elemental.
What this article covers:
To texture a wall, the resident manages to add a touch of personality to the look of the room. The reproduced effect varies according to the material that was used, but it exhibits a very striking and modern result, completely surpassing the standard of a smooth and conventional covering.
It is possible to make several types of texture in the vertical cladding, obtaining, for example, the graphato or straw effect. In some jobs it is not even necessary to have several tools to create the relief, it is enough to choose the right products to be used in the application and to have a basic tool.
Many people choose to use textures on the walls, usually, depending on the texture, it is only used on the main wall of the room. There are several wall textures, as previously mentioned, the ideal is to first decide which climate is best and whether the texture fits the type of room. The textures need a certain skill to be done, they can usually be done by painters, but if you want to do it yourself, we have prepared some tips for how to make a wall texture🇧🇷
Step by Step to put Texture on the Wall
- First you must prepare the wall by previously cleaning the surface by sanding with 100 to 180 iron sandpaper, it is essential that you eliminate all loose parts, old paint peelings, etc.
- Remove greasy stains (washing with water and soap or detergent).
- Remove mold (clean with a 1:1 solution of bleach and water).
- Constantly wet with the solution for a period of 6 hours, and rinse well with clean water and finally clean the dust well and let it dry.
- Dilute the Sealer in 5 to 15% of water, the dilution depends on the situation of the wall, the more rustic the lower the dilution.
- Using a sheep’s wool roller or foam, apply the Sealer using vertical movements, it is advisable to start at the corner of the wall, from the ceiling downwards.
- After a period of 2 to 8 hours (curing time), check that the surface is completely dry, only start applying the coating after it has effectively dried. The Sealer prepares the wall, removes impurities and facilitates the handling of the tool to apply the Texture.
Check out the step-by-step video below on how to make texture on the wall:
Apply other texture types
Mustard Tone Gradient
You will need 2 rakes, foam roller, Terracor acrylic sealer, Terracor terracal 816 (terracal 816 reagent and terracal putty) and Tigre 571 2 ½ brush.
Apply a coat of acrylic sealer with the roller, always moving in the same direction. Wait 2 hours for drying and note that this step is important to prepare the wall. Cover the surface with earth mass, using the rake in random movements in all directions. Wait 24 hours for drying.
Now all you have to do is paint the mass with the reagent, using the rake in long, gestural movements. Note that the reagent clears slightly after drying and final drying occurs in two hours.
Rustic graffiti texture
You will need a foam roller or lamb wool, Primer Fundo sealer, Smooth Steel trowel and PVC trowel for Grafiato, trays for diluting the products, clean cloth and Sandpaper.
Apply a coat of Sealer with the Foam or Wool roller. Wait from 2 to 8 hours for the drying time to start applying Grafiato Coating. With the smooth steel trowel, apply a strip vertically. Always work the m2 to prevent the dough from drying out before creating the effect. Flatten the dough so that the mineral grains are showing on the surface. Now all you have to do is slide the PVC trowel with movements from top to bottom, creating the scratched effect and the more you perform the movement, the more scratches you will have on the surface.
Crimped Circles Effect
You will need a Smooth Steel Trowel, 20 Smooth plastic trowel, 12 P tooth plastic trowel, Master Wool roller with handle, large tray, sander, 220 grain masonry sandpaper, Plain texture putty, Matte Acrylic paint in color chosen.
Use the plastic spatula 20 to spread the texture on the wall, in areas no larger than 2m2. Leave a very homogeneous layer. Run the smooth steel trowel vertically, leaving a flat and even layer, at least 2 mm thick. With the 12 tooth P spatula, make wide circular movements, always from top to bottom. Use your imagination to make the circles big or small, always overlapping. So that the groove is very smooth, lay down the spatula more.
These are just a few wall texture ideas, there are others like bamboo effect, cross effect, stripe effect, tree bark effect, abstract crack effect and many more. Clicking here you can check different textures that can be created and the step by step.