All over the world, The appeal of vegetarian food has increased significantly in recent years. For health, ethical, or environmental reasons, many people choose to adopt a plant-based diet. There are many tasty and creative dishes that can be made without meat or other animal products.such as vegetarian mushroom croquettes, despite the mistaken belief that vegetarian food is bland or lacking in flavor.
In this article we will give you a step-by-step recipe to prepare delicious and simple vegetarian mushroom croquettes. In many cultures, such as Spain, croquettes are a very popular option as a starter or main course. This vegetarian version is great for satisfying your craving for something crunchy and tasty without compromising your ethics or dietary needs. Here we go!
The recipe for vegetarian mushroom croquettes
- 200g mushrooms
- Half an onion
- 130 g of wheat flour
- 1 splash of apple cider vinegar
- 30 ml unsweetened soy sauce
- 850ml soy milk
- Salt to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
For the batter:
- 200 ml of soy milk
- Bread crumbs
- Chop the onion finely after removing the outer layers. Cut the mushrooms into small cubes.
- Add the onion and let it brown for a while. Next, add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Stir it all up and let it boil for another 5 minutes. Add the flour, mix it in and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add half of the soy milk and stir continuously while cooking until thickened. Continuing to stir, add the rest of the milk. When the milk begins to bind, add the soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. Continue cooking and stirring for another 15 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, spread out the dough. Cover everything with plastic wrap that touches the surface of the dough to prevent crusting, and let it rest overnight.
- To make the croquettes, divide the dough into portions and then pass them through flour. Shape them and add them to the soy milk. Remove the excess milk and begin to coat the croquettes together with the breadcrumbs.
- Prepare a pan with plenty of hot oil and add the croquettes. Let them fry all over and then remove them, resting them on absorbent paper to remove excess fat. The croquettes are now ready to be served!
Nutritional properties of vegan mushroom croquettes
With the aforementioned ingredients, vegan mushroom croquettes can provide many benefits, as we can see below:
- Rich in nutrients: using soy milk instead of cow’s milk increases the amount of calcium and protein on the plate. Also, mushrooms are a great source source of fiber, protein and vitamin B.
- Low in calories: wheat flour and breadcrumbs give you continuous energy without increasing blood sugar because they are low-calorie sources of complex carbohydrates. Likewise, using olive oil instead of less healthy vegetable oils can also reduce the total number of calories.
- No meat or animal products: Because the recipe is completely vegan, it can be enjoyed by anyone who is vegetarian, vegan, or just trying to reduce their consumption of meat and animal products.
- Taste and texture: The mushrooms and the onion give flavor and texture to the croquettesand soy sauce and apple cider vinegar can add a touch of acidity to further accentuate the flavor.
- Easy to do: Anyone with basic cooking skills can make this recipe. Also, the kibble can be frozen and preserved for a future quick meal.
In short, vegan mushroom croquettes can be a tasty, nutritious and easy-to-prepare option for anyone looking for a vegetarian substitute for regular croquettes.