It is one of those dishes that you “eat with your eyes”: paella. She just really wants to stick her fork in before she’s ready.
Share the post “Paella: the tasty legacy of our brothers”
The saying “in Spain neither good winds nor good marriages” could not be further from the truth when it comes to Paella.
A dish originally from Valencia, whose main ingredient is the ricecombined with various ingredients: vegetables, seafood, meats and spices.
This alone allows tremendous freedom in cooking, as long as you don’t forget very important aspects that will influence the quality of the meal:
– It needs to be cooked in a very wide low pan – the typical “paellera”;
– You should use a lot of saffron;
– Use good quality olive oil.
To find out the rest, just pay attention to the two options that we bring you: the traditional Valencian paella recipe and a vegetarian proposal.
Type:lunch or dinner
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 300g diced chicken breast
- 300gr of Calabrian sausage in slices
- 200gr of squid cut into slices
- 200gr of mussels
- 400gr of cleaned medium prawns
- 1 yellow pepper in strips
- 1 red pepper in strips
- 500g parboiled rice
- 200g of frozen peas
- 1 l of fish broth
- saffron to taste
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt qb
how to make paella
- Put the oil in the frying pan and let it heat up.
- Add the onion and garlic and let it brown.
- Stir a little and add the peppers.
- Place the raw chicken cubes, without seasoning, and the sausage.
- Let it cool down a bit.
- Put the rice, saffron and add fish broth to cover everything.
- Keep stirring from time to time for about 10 minutes.
- Add the seafood: prawns, mussels and squid.
- Add the peas.
- Add fish stock when it gets drier.
- Fix salt.
Type:lunch or dinner
- 1 kg brown rice
- 1 big onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 leek
- 300gr frozen peas or pods
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 2 medium red tomatoes
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1/2 small red pepper
- 300g heart of palm, cubed
- 200g of fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 artichoke in bloom
- fresh rosemary
- paprika powder
- black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- Olive oil
How to make vegetarian paella
- Over medium heat, put olive oil in the frying pan and sauté the onion, peppers, pepper and leek.
- Add the garlic and let it cook for another minute.
- Add the rice and lower the heat.
- When the rice starts to fry, add hot water and saffron, evenly over the rice.
- Allow to dry and add more hot water until an inch is missing from the edge.
- When it dries a little, add the mushrooms, cauliflower and peas.
- Add more water if necessary.
- When you think the rice is cooked, turn the heat to maximum so that it browns a little on the bottom.
- Place the pepper strips on top and wait about 5 minutes before serving.