In the US, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the semaglutide for use in obesity control in 2021. As a treatment for type 2 diabetes, it has been used for years.
The semaglutide It mimics the functioning of the hormone (GLP-1) that the human body produces naturally in the small intestine and that regulates food intake and appetite. In addition, it helps improve blood sugar metabolism. Actually, the operation of the semaglutide it is very similar to that of the successful slimming drug Saxenda.
Is semaglutide effective for weight loss?
Yes. Studies have shown that semaglutide It can help you lose weight by controlling your appetite. As with other options for treating overweight such as intragastric balloon, semaglutide helps balance core hormones to curb appetite. It also helps balance insulin levels. This fact is also related to being able to reduce cravings and overeating, which can lead to obesity.
With the semaglutide you get one
- Improved satiety control
- Less sense of appetite
- Improvement of blood sugar levels
How much weight is lost with semaglutide?
For any treatment to lose weight, the answer is always the same: It will depend on each patient and how they follow the instructions provided by the medical team. However, studies report losses of between 15-20% of their body weight.
Who can take it?
It is currently only approved for patients with a BMI of 30 or more. However, patients with obesity-related conditions only need a BMI of 27 to be candidates.
In addition, it is important to note that it is not a medicine suitable for everyone but for those people willing to follow a medically assisted plan to treat overweight.
Is semaglutide alone enough to lose weight?
Semaglutide helps to lose weight, but in the same way that happens with any other option to treat overweight, the success of the treatment is achieved when a change in eating habits and lifestyle is consolidated.
Therefore, for the treatment to be more effective and its effects to be long-lasting, it is important that it is complemented with:
- Medical follow-up: Medical follow-up will ensure that the entire process is carried out properly.
- Nutritional advice: Changing eating habits is not easy. With the appropriate nutritional and dietary advice, it will be possible to maximize the efficacy of semaglutide and at the same time establish new eating habits.
- Sports advice: The indications of this new medicine are accompanied by a recommendation on the practice of physical activity to maximize its results.
- Psychological advice: Sometimes the patient needs psychological advice to help him modify certain attitudes that have been able to motivate bad habits and being overweight.