Tasty and crispy, our traditional Portuguese duck rice recipe is one of the classics that cannot be missing from the table.
O portuguese duck rice it is a recipe that is already part of the memories of all of us and that it is impossible not to pass on to the table of Portuguese families.
With a culinary richness that knows no limits, the national gastronomy presents an uncountable number of dishes that perfectly fit this description – right?
But let’s help unravel the mystery: we show you how to make Portuguese duck rice that is very crispy, golden and full of flavor, which will conquer even the most demanding palates.
And you will see how this recipe is simpler to prepare than you had thought.
Portuguese duck rice
Type:lunch or dinner
- 500g duck cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 big onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot
- 1 beef chorizo
- 200gr of ham
- 1/2 glass of port wine
- pepper to taste
- Ingredients for rice
- 2 cups steamed rice
- 1 small onion
- 4 cups of duck broth
- duck fat
- salt to taste
method of preparation
- In a pan, add the duck in pieces, the chorizo and the ham.
- Add the onion, carrot, bay leaf and minced garlic.
- Finally, add the Port Wine.
- Sprinkle everything with water and season with pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- When the duck is already done, remove the meat from the heat, shred and set aside.
- Also remove the ham and chorizo, and, in a bowl, reserve part of the broth and fat left over from cooking.
- To prepare the rice, chop an onion and sauté it in the duck fat.
- Wash the rice under cold running water and add to the pan, letting it fry slightly.
- Sprinkle the rice with the broth left over from cooking the duck, then season with salt to taste and cook for 10 minutes.
- Take advantage of this time to cut the ham into small pieces and the chorizo into slices.
- Arrange everything in a baking dish as follows: make a layer of rice, cover with the duck and ham, repeat the layer of rice and finish with the chorizo.
- Put everything in a medium oven for about 10 minutes.