Tagine is one of the most famous Moroccan dishes around the world. Today we share two chicken and lemon tagine recipes.
Tagine is the name given to Moroccan meals prepared in a pot that has the same name: a baked clay object varnished or painted. If you would like to try it, we suggest preparing chicken and lemon taginefor the familiarity of flavors, which will turn any meal into a true gastronomic experience.
Two Recipes for Chicken and Lemon Tagine
Chicken and lemon tagine
Type:lunch or dinner
- 1 medium chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 lemons
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 4 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- Spices and spicy to taste
- fleur de sel to taste
- Peel and cut the onion into rings.
- Peel and chop the garlic very finely.
- With the help of a pestle, coarsely knead the salt with the saffron.
- Place the onion, garlic, salt and saffron mixture in a tagine.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle with spices and spices to taste.
- Cover and cover halfway with water.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the olive oil, cover and cook over low heat for about an hour, turning the chicken pieces regularly.
- When the chicken meat comes off the bone, remove and set aside.
- Uncover the tagine and let the sauce reduce over high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and return the chicken pieces to the tagine.
- Add the lemons cut into four parts or slices.
- Cover and let cook for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken pieces on a serving plate, pour the sauce on top, as well as the lemon pieces.
- Serve with white rice.
Chicken and lemon tagine with olives
Type:lunch or dinner
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50gr of flour
- 675g chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 2 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large potato, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 100g of green olives
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 quarters
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 350ml of chicken broth
method of preparation
- Combine the paprika, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and salt in a bowl.
- In a deep dish, add ½ tablespoon of the spice mix to the flour.
- Coat the chicken in the flour mixture and reserve the rest of the spice mixture.
- Heat the oil in a tagine over medium-high heat and add the chicken.
- Cook for 7 minutes or until the meat is browned on both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve.
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic and the rest of the spice mix to the contents of the tagine.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the onion is slightly browned.
- Return the chicken to the tagine.
- Add the potatoes, olives, lemon, 1 spoonful of coriander, 1 spoonful of parsley, bay leaf and stock.
- Allow to boil and then reduce to low heat.
- Cover and keep on the heat for 1 hour or until the chicken and potatoes have softened.
- Spread the remaining tablespoons of coriander and parsley.
- Serve with cooked couscous or white rice, as desired.