Tagine is one of the most famous Moroccan dishes around the world. Today we share two chicken and lemon tagine recipes.
Share the post “Chicken and lemon tagine: recipes for an irreverent dish”
Tagine is the name given to Moroccan meals prepared in a pot that has the same name: a baked clay object varnished or painted. If you would like to try it, we suggest preparing chicken and lemon taginefor the familiarity of flavors, which will turn any meal into a true gastronomic experience.
Two Recipes for Chicken and Lemon Tagine
Chicken and lemon tagine
Type:lunch or dinner
- 1 medium chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 lemons
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 4 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
- Spices and spicy to taste
- fleur de sel to taste
- Peel and cut the onion into rings.
- Peel and chop the garlic very finely.
- With the help of a pestle, coarsely knead the salt with the saffron.
- Place the onion, garlic, salt and saffron mixture in a tagine.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top and sprinkle with spices and spices to taste.
- Cover and cover halfway with water.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the olive oil, cover and cook over low heat for about an hour, turning the chicken pieces regularly.
- When the chicken meat comes off the bone, remove and set aside.
- Uncover the tagine and let the sauce reduce over high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and return the chicken pieces to the tagine.
- Add the lemons cut into four parts or slices.
- Cover and let cook for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken pieces on a serving plate, pour the sauce on top, as well as the lemon pieces.
- Serve with white rice.
Chicken and lemon tagine with olives
Type:lunch or dinner
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50gr of flour
- 675g chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin rings
- 2 carrots, cut into rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large potato, cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 100g of green olives
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 quarters
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 350ml of chicken broth
method of preparation
- Combine the paprika, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and salt in a bowl.
- In a deep dish, add ½ tablespoon of the spice mix to the flour.
- Coat the chicken in the flour mixture and reserve the rest of the spice mixture.
- Heat the oil in a tagine over medium-high heat and add the chicken.
- Cook for 7 minutes or until the meat is browned on both sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve.
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic and the rest of the spice mix to the contents of the tagine.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until the onion is slightly browned.
- Return the chicken to the tagine.
- Add the potatoes, olives, lemon, 1 spoonful of coriander, 1 spoonful of parsley, bay leaf and stock.
- Allow to boil and then reduce to low heat.
- Cover and keep on the heat for 1 hour or until the chicken and potatoes have softened.
- Spread the remaining tablespoons of coriander and parsley.
- Serve with cooked couscous or white rice, as desired.