If you’re looking for a job, chances are you’re wondering howr an CV that attracts the attention of companies, employers and business owners.
Everyone knows the importance of creating a resume before applying for a new vacancy. But not everyone knows how to create one that captures the interest of recruiters, and eventually leads to interviews and leads.
Nowadays, there are many tricks and recommendations that can help you create an impressive CV. Although the most effective ones should always come from reliable sources.
The importance of creating a good CV
Then, How can you identify the data, advice or elements that cannot be missing from your CV to get the job of your dreams?
A great way to filter the information and make sure you are moving in the right direction is by consulting reliable sources with high levels of credibility.
That is, instead of consulting any website on the Internet, or consuming generic or outdated content, focus on visiting the pages of large references in the market.
That way you will get more effective recommendations, and even a more realistic and reliable action plan.
If you want to get remote jobs, or apply for jobs abroadit is essential that your CV is clear, concise and powerful.
Do you wonder how he doesr a useful and valuable CV right now? Currently, it is not enough to empty your personal and professional information in a document and name it “CV”.
Remember that the labor market is increasingly competitive and that you need to have a winning CV (one that does not go unnoticed, or that simply becomes another one of the bunch).
How to make an irresistible CV according to Harvard
Harvard, one of the most prestigious universities in the world, has developed a very valuable document for those who want to create an irresistible CV.
You can search it like “Resumes and Cover Letter”. An Extension School Resource, in case you need to create or optimize your resume as soon as possible.
Do you want to know how to do an unparalleled CV? This file contains ten pages full of really key data, recommendations and tricks to create a solid, authentic and unbeatable CV.
However, before delving into the steps to follow to achieve this goal, he makes sure to explain very well what a resume is.
That is the starting point, and therefore, you must be very clear about it. Specifically, a CV is a document that summarizes your skills, your educational background and your professional experiences or skills.
Previously, it was common to develop extremely long, in-depth, and detailed resumes.
But things have changed and now recruiters prefer fully customizable resumes that are also straight to the point. And you will learn all this with him. harvard handbook.
Tips to stand out with your CV
These are the tips you should follow to create an irresistible CV, according to the renowned Harvard University:
1. Use active language when writing your resume. You must use action words or verbs.
2. There must be consistency between the format and the content of this document.
3. The CV must be easy and enjoyable to read (from beginning to end).
4. You must use support elements to facilitate reading, such as underlining, bold words, and even capital letters (if necessary).
5. Use headings, such as “Education,” “Skills,” “Work Experience,” in order of importance.
6. In each section you must record the information in reverse chronological order. This means that the most recent must go first.
7. How do youer a remarkable CV? Make sure it clearly expresses your attributes, backgrounds, and expertise. It has to be more expressive than impressive.
8. The presentation of the information must be well articulated.
9. The CV should be written with recruiters in mind. These tend to scan them quickly, instead of investing 20 or 30 minutes in analyzing them in depth.
10. The information in your CV must be based on qualitative and quantitative facts. It is not the same to say “Experience in Marketing and Sales”what to say “More than 10 years of experience in international Marketing and Sales companies”.
11. Organize the information into categories and do not forget to position them according to their order of relevance.
For example, if you want to join a volunteer present your experience in this field at the beginning.
And if you want to apply for a new job in your area or field of expertise, make sure your previous positions are listed first.
Mistakes that you should avoid at all costs in your resume
whatHow make an irresistible CV? Harvard has embodied in this manual many valuable recommendations that you cannot ignore.
If your current resume has not generated interviews or real job opportunities, it could be because of these errors:
- It has a narrative style.
- You have not specified your email address.
- Contains abbreviations and personal pronouns, such as “I”.
- You have used colloquial or very informal language.
- Contains grammatical errors.
- Each line begins with a date.
- The information is disorganized. The CV lacks meaning and coherence.
- The curriculum summary is not concise and punctual, quite the opposite (extensive and ambiguous).
- Your CV does not show results, nor does it contain any kind of qualitative or quantitative support.
- You have used passive and not active language. The latter works with this type of verbs:
- To coordinate
- To project
- To direct
- Operate etc
In the document you will find a section specially dedicated to the subject of active language.
In fact, action verbs are classified into several categories, such as: leadership, communication, research or teaching.
The idea is that you identify the active language that best suits your academic, work or extra-curricular experience, based on the verbs suggested in that list.
Also, you should know that you can use them both in your resume and in your cover letters (known in English as “Cover Letters”).
Are you looking for work abroad?
Additionally, there are some things that you should avoid at all costs if you are Hispanic and want to apply for a employment in countries like the United States, or in other foreign nations. These are the most relevant:
- Include a photograph.
- Reveal your age or gender.
- Facilitate personal or professional references from third parties, such as those from your former employers.
However, it is valid to clarify that these requirements usually vary from one country to another. Therefore, you must adjust them to the corresponding labor market.
In Latin America it is common for curricular summaries to have an updated photograph of the applicants.
However, in other countries in North America or Europe, workers cannot be discriminated against based on their age, sex, ethnicity or religion.
Therefore, it is not advisable to provide this type of information in the CVs. So you should keep these details in mind when you ask yourself how make a CV.
Make an effective Cover Letter
at the time of to look for a job you don’t just have to wonder how doesr a CV that allows you to stand out from your competitors.
You should also learn how to create a good cover letter. This is widely known as “Cover Letter”.
According to Harvard College of Art and Science, This document is ideal to introduce yourself to a company or organization, from a more narrative point of view.
It usually accompanies your CV and serves to describe both your qualities and the interest you have in joining a certain company.
In essence, your cover letter increases your chances of landing an interview with your potential employer.
The main purpose of your CV and the “Cover Letter” is “promote yourself”. You should use them to publicize your skills, attributes, knowledge and qualities.
If you make sure to create them strategically, and based on the guidelines that Harvard defends, you could prevail over the rest of the candidates.
What should have a “Cover Letter” to make it impressive?
These are the elements that cannot be missing in your cover letter, in order to make it impressive and memorable:
1. Highlight the skills and professional experiences that best fit the job offer to which you are applying.
2. It must be customizable. This means that you cannot use the same letter for all the applications you have. On the contrary, you must adapt and customize it according to each company and its requirements or needs.
3. The letter must be addressed to a particular person. For example: “Dear Engineer Ramón Marcano – Director of Finance of Procter & Gamble”.
4. It should not have more than one page. It should be as concise and precise as possible.
5. Avoid empty or ornamental information (one that does not provide any added value, or that is too flattering).
6. Offer examples or data that support your skills and qualifications for a certain position or job.
7. Put yourself in the employer’s shoes. This involves asking yourself what information you should share to show that you are the ideal candidate for the job.
8. Do not abuse the “I”. In fact, it is best to avoid this personal pronoun as much as possible.
9. Use active language. Don’t forget that youCover Letter” it is also a personal marketing tool.
10. Use the same font, size and style as your CV. There must be consistency and coherence between both documents.
basic structure of a “Cover Letter”
In essence, a cover letter is made up of three large sections:
You should use it to define the reason for which you are writing, the job position you would like to apply for and how you found out about that vacancy.
Likewise, you must present at least three reasons that motivate your potential employer to hire you. Why are you the best candidate for the position? Tell him and convince him!
Describe your interest in the job position and possible experiences you have had within the same branch or sector of the company to which you are applying.
In the same way, you should take advantage of this paragraph to highlight the skills or abilities that are related to the job, without sounding arrogant or arrogant.
It is the closing paragraph. Use it to reiterate your wishes to join the business, organization or company, and to emphasize your excitement or enthusiasm for joining their staff.
Also, thank the employer for taking the time to read your cover letter and end your writing with a call to action.
This is quite a powerful, friendly and effective option: “I look forward to speaking with you in person about my interest in working together in the immediate future.”
Strive in the creation of your CV
We have just shared with you some interesting tips on What make an irresistible CV, according to Harvard University.
They may seem simple or easy at first glance, but they are actually designed to increase your chances of landing a new job.
Be sure to put them into practice when working on your resume, and even in your cover letter, to maximize good results.
Finally, it should be noted that in the Harvard manual you will find some CV templates and “Cover Letters”, that will serve as a guide when creating your own, or when updating them.
Continue reading: 10 jobs with the most demand in the world and Latin America