The gastric sleeve It is an obesity surgery intervention that consists of reducing the capacity of the stomach between 80-90%. This technique, also known as sleeve gastrectomy, gastric tube or gastric sleeve, restricts food intake which leads to weight loss.
What is the gastric sleeve?
The gastric sleeve works as a double mechanism.
- On the one hand, in this weight loss surgery, part of the stomach is removed. Specifically, 80-90% leaving the left side of the stomach in the form of a long sleeve. This reduction in the size of the stomach limits the amount a person can eat.
- On the other hand, the intervention produces a series of changes at the hormonal level that will make it easier for the patient to feel satiated.
Both aspects lead to weight loss and facilitate the change in eating habits and lifestyle necessary to achieve a healthy weight. If you are interested in performing a gastric sleeve or solving any of your doubts with our professionals, do not hesitate to enter this link and fill out this form to have an appointment totally free and without obligation.
In addition to weight loss, gastric sleeve intervention has many other health benefits such as improving and/or reducing the risk of developing conditions related to being overweight, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
For whom is it indicated?
Gastric sleeve surgery is indicated in
- People with a body mass index (BMI) greater than 40
- People with a BMI between 35 and 40 and a health condition such as sleep apnea, high blood pressure, heart disease, or type 2 diabetes.
This is a technique that works very well among people who are used to eating large amounts of food and who must get used to eating less and healthier habits. Since Obymed We are specialists in this type of technique, we are backed by more than 20 years of experience and professionals specialized in obesity and overweight. If you want more information about how we perform this technique and what the accompaniment would be, you can enter here and consult it.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Gastric Sleeve:
If you have come this far, it is probably because you are interested in learning about the main advantages and disadvantages of this obesity surgery technique, which has become the option that has increased the most worldwide in the last decade.
Gastric sleeve advantages:
- Gastric sleeve weight loss: Weight loss is approximately 65-70% in total. About 50% of excess weight is lost in the first 12 months after the intervention, so weight is lost very quickly.
- Improvements in any condition related to weight such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, osteoarthritis, obstructive sleep apnea, high cholesterol and polycystic ovaries among other diseases.
- Improvement of physical capacity: The patient has a greater capacity for physical activity. Improves vitality, energy, fitness, strength, stamina, bone density, as well as mood and self-confidence.
Disadvantages Gastric Sleeve or Tube:
- The patient (in the same way that happens with other techniques) must learn to eat slowly, chewing very well and in small bites to avoid discomfort during the first weeks.
- After the gastrectomy operation, in some cases, patients present gastroesophageal reflux. In any case, it is a minor complication.