Alentejo-style pork is a recipe with many fans. Learn how to make the traditional recipe for this dish that is always a hit.
the revenue from Alentejo-style pork that we present to you below is very easy to prepare and we know that everyone will love it.
Contrary to what you might think, this recipe was apparently invented by an Algarve man who decided to name his invention that way because he uses Alentejo pork in his preparation. Appreciated throughout the country, this dish is a classic of Portuguese cuisine and is worth trying at home.
some useful tips
This recipe can vary a little in the condiments you are going to use, being able to add bay leaf and cloves in the marinade, for example.
In addition, you can also choose to serve Alentejo-style pork as a snack, instead of a main dish, for which it is advisable that the potato and meat cubes are smaller, so they can be chopped.
It is also common for pork to be sautéed in lard instead of olive oil, which does not substantially change the flavor of the dish, but just depends on one’s preference.
Likewise, clams can be substituted for cockles, or they can even be used together, as the cooking time is the same.
In some restaurants, Alentejo-style pork is served with lemon and/or orange slices to intensify the flavors. In the north of the country, it is more common for this recipe to be sprinkled with chopped parsley than coriander.
Follow all the steps that we have indicated and we are sure that it will result in a delicious dish.
Type:lunch or dinner
- 800gr pork for stewing
- 800gr potato
- 400gr clam
- 60gr pickles
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 glass of white wine
- 50ml olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of chili paste
- Black olives to taste
- chopped coriander to taste
- salt and pepper qb
- Frying oil
- Start by cutting the meat into medium cubes and season it with salt, pepper, red pepper paste, chopped garlic and drizzle with the white wine.
- Let marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them into medium cubes.
- Fry the potatoes in very hot oil until golden. Remove and place on absorbent paper to get rid of excess oil.
- Then, drain the meat from the marinade, but reserve the sauce.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the meat.
- Keep stirring the meat, while it gains color on all sides, but without chopping (so that the meat does not lose its juiciness).
- Then add the clams, the marinade and let it cook.
- The sauce should not dry out completely, so add a little water if necessary.
- Finally, add the fries, coriander, pickles and olives to the meat.
- Mix everything very well and serve immediately.
Article originally published in June 2020. Updated in September 2022.