Gorongosa Park is located in Mozambique and is a must-visit place for anyone who appreciates and admires Nature in its purest state.
The story of Gorongosa Park is long and intertwines with the history of Mozambique, the country that hosts this space that is considered a true jewel of biodiversity. Its fauna and landscapes are truly breathtaking and attract countless visitors every year.
In this article, we leave you with relevant information about what to see and do in this space, if you plan to visit Gorongosa Park in the near future.
After this African country has gone through such difficult times, there is nothing like paying tribute to the resilience of its people by visiting one of its greatest national attractions.
Gorongosa Park: guide to explore this stronghold of biodiversity
Gorongosa Park is considered by many to be one of the most unique and special national parks on Earth, thanks to its biodiversity. It is a truly magical and extremely important space for the conservation of nature and our planet.
Wildlife. One of the attractions of this Mozambican park is its fauna, including antelopes, lions, elephants, crocodiles, birds, hippos and other unique creatures.
The variety of animal and plant species is truly incredible and it is necessary to pay attention to everything to be able to apprehend all the biodiversity around us.
Landscapes. Another attraction of this Gorongosa Park is its magnificent landscapes, extremely diverse. Located at the end of the Great African Rift Valley, this space offers unique views, namely over Lake Urema and its network of rivers, the vast plains with antelopes, the savannahs as far as the eye can see, the immense forests and a huge mountain with forests tropics and waterfalls of crystalline water.
Jeep Safari. One of the ways to explore Gorongosa Park is on a jeep safari, with qualified guides and in an open vehicle. Through this activity, you will get to know a diversity of habitats, wild animals and extraordinary birds. In addition, you can enjoy the plains and forests of yellow acacias and palm trees. Around here, you will find antelopes, primates and birds, as well as lions, herds of elephants, buffaloes, hippos and some crocodiles.
Safari by boat. To fully explore Lake Urema, there’s nothing like going on a boat safari, where you can spot crocodiles, hippos and many water birds. After a 1-hour drive to the shore of the lake and getting to know the wildlife, get ready to discover the maritime fauna and the charms that this magnificent lake holds.
Canoe Safari. Another possibility in Gorongosa is to go canoeing along the current, while admiring sandy beaches, sugarcane fields and riverside forests. In addition to observing some birds, you will be able to fully appreciate the beautiful landscapes, while enjoying the tranquility of these calm waters.
Where to stay
Gorongosa Park offers a series of accommodation options, according to what each person and group wants.
- Villa Premium: for a luxurious stay, it includes two private bedrooms, a large rustic dining table and a living room.
- Standard Villas: with every comfort and convenience, these villas include two private bedrooms, a full kitchen (with fridge, stove, sink and kitchenware), dining room and living room.
- Premium Bungalows/Standard Bungalows: these rooms have air conditioning, hairdryer, minibar, safe for valuables, toiletries and kettle and respective supplements for tea and/or coffee. In addition, there is free Wi-Fi.
- Garden Rooms: among other amenities, one of the advantages of these rooms is the fact that they have an outdoor seating area, overlooking the garden and pool, from where it is possible to observe the birds of Chitengo.
- Camping: Another possibility is to stay at the campsite, which is located in a very pleasant area, under the natural shade of the trees.
More information, on here.
What to take
- Light clothing (shorts, t-shirts) for hot days
- Warm clothing (long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, pants) for cool nights
- Boots and long socks
- bathing suit
- Camera/Video Camera
- pocket flashlight
- Bottle of water
Travel Accessories and Medicines
- Passport and Visa
- Another identification document, such as a driver’s license
- Keep a photocopy of the passport and visa in a separate place
- registration of vaccines
- Travel insurance
- Luggage security padlocks
- electrical adapters
- anti-malarial medication
- Other medications (prescriptions…)
- insect repellent
Gorongosa Park Rules
- Observe Gate Hours
- Ask about Any Age Restrictions
- Bring Your Identification Document With You
- Declaring Possession of Firearms at the Entrance Gate
- make trash
- Disturb Other Visitors
- Throwing Cigarette Butts to the Floor
- Drinking Alcoholic Beverages in Public Areas
- Allow Visitors to Enter at Night
- Bring Bicycles, “Roller Skates”, or “Skateboards”
- Feed or Disturb Wildlife
- Bring Pets to the Park
- Take Plants or Animals
- Bring Plants or Animals to the Park
- Obstruct Park Official Action
- Killing or Injuring Animals